Monday, August 27, 2007

My First Big Road Trip: Livin' on Ponca Time


I know everybody has been wondering what happened on our trip after we left the hustle and bustle of Joplin, MO. I'm finally back to relate the details from the rest of our trip.

We checked out of the hotel and got back on the road on Saturday morning. Dad couldn't stop talking about the guy behind the counter at the Starbucks we stopped at on the way out of Joplin. Dad's pretty sure he might have also been president of the local tourism board because he was very concerned with how people liked the weather and if they were having a good time in Joplin. Dad says the Starbucks employees here barely acknowledge you're there, forget about asking if you like the weather!


Even though we only had a few hours left to drive before we reached Ponca City, it felt like as many hours as we drove all day on Friday. I know Dad was really excited to see Uncle John and he and Mom couldn't wait to see the house they moved into last year.

We finally arrived in the early afternoon and I got to meet Dad's big brother. And when I say "big" I mean "big"! I thought Dad was tall but not compared to Uncle John! After we unpacked the car and got a tour of their cool new place Aunt Nancy and Uncle John took turns holding me and making sure I felt relaxed and comfortable.

It was so nice not to have to drive anywhere and with the heat creeping up I was happy to stay in the house. It's a good thing I was there, too, because all the neighbors stopped by to meet me and even Aunt Nancy's sister Dana and her husband Earl popped in for a visit.

Who knew I'd be this popular, even halfway across the country!?


I even got a bunch of cool presents from Uncle John and Aunt Nancy. Check out my groovy bunny slippers! Plus, I got my first basketball, a football rattle, a "Future Rock Star" onesie from Taylor Guitars, a cowboy Christmas ornament, and a bib to commemorate my first televised NFL game!

As excited as I was about my presents I think Dad was even more excited about getting barbecue from Head Country. It's one of his favorite rib places in the whole country and I don't think anybody was disappointed. Can't wait till I can try them sometime.

The next day it was even hotter out so we stayed around the house. Aunt Nancy's mom came down to meet me and so did Farmer Mark. He was just like Dad described him! Aunt Nancy and Uncle John pretended they were somebody named Dave and Rita and made a really good brunch and dinner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan!
Long time, no blog! I'm so happy to hear how you are doing and I can't believe how big you're getting! I cannot wait to meet you! I really hope it's sooner rather than later! Love to you and your 'rents!
Love, Brooke xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey Cousin Brooke! Thanks for writing. I've been so busy the last few weeks it's been hard to find time to blog. But I promise to be better at it this fall. Dad even bought a video camera so you can see me in action! Thanks for the pictures of your new place in sunny Florida. Mom and Dad said maybe we can visit next year when we go down in the winter!

Anonymous said...

Ryan! That would be super! I just can't wait to meet you!
Love, Brooke xoxo